Ways to Ignite the Spark of Your Creativity
I have to admit, there are a lot of days where I'm feeling like I've lost all my creativity, or even worse, I come down with a "creative block". I say it like I'm catching a sickness, because when working in a creative industry it truly is a sickness! It's one that many of us struggle with. But it doesn't have to be that way. There are many ideas to spark your creativity, some of them are familiar and some of them may be new to you. Keep reading for a few of my favorite ways to ignite creativity.
But What If I'm Not Creative...At All?
The truth is, you don't have to be an artist, designer or professional maker to find your creativity. As a creative, I find much of my inspiration in the little things rather than big projects I'm working on. Often times those simple, creative moments are a huge relief amongst the pressures of deadlines, revisions and responsibilities that come with life as a professional creative.
My Top 5 Ways to Spark Creativity
1) Grab coffee with a creative - If you're feeling lackluster in your own creativity, plan a get-together with someone you know who is a creative, and talk to them about it. Creatives are passionate and enjoy sharing thoughts and ideas through conversation.
2) Listen to a creative podcast - If you don't know anyone who's creative, try listening to a podcast. Podcasts are a great way to engage in conversation with creatives without actually having to know them personally. They often share ideas and ways to continue to grow in creativity and how to get over creative roadblocks. Not all podcasts are the same, you may find some you like and some you don’t like. The good thing is that there are so many to choose from that you’ll eventually end up finding someone you resonate with. The key is to keep experimenting and listening. Read the reviews to hear others’ thoughts on the podcast.
3) Take a class - Taking a creative class is a great way to get inspired! Fargo offers a great selection of unique classes to take. Try something you’ve always wanted to do but never had the chance, or try something totally new. Bring a friend to make it fun! A few of my favorites are classes at Unglued Market ( link) Salsa Downtown Fargo, to amp up your heart rate and learn new styles of Latin dance as well as a variety of classes put on by creatives at APT Market.
4) Attend an event - Fargo has options for everyone! Creative Mornings, which debuts its first event June 27th, is geared to inspire creatives of all levels (including those who want to find their creativity.). Creative Mornings is a nation-wide platform which meets every Friday of the month to discuss a themed topic. The event is an hour and a half long, with breakfast and coffee provided, and a 20 minute talk with a community member. A unique element to Fargo’s Creative Morning is a make-and-take event, a short project or craft that you can either make at the event, or take home to make. (Talk about inspiring!)
Check out Creative Mornings every last Friday of each month at 8am at APT Artist Incubator 225 4th Ave N, Fargo.
5) Believe in your creativity - It’s not about being the best, it’s about believing in your creativity. I’ve heard so many people say “I’m just not creative.” If you believe you’re not creative, your mind closes off the opportunity to find creative open doors. Shifting your mindset can be difficult, but I’ve found journaling my creative wins and “ah-ha” moments helps, as well as reading books and articles on how to become more creative. Open those doors by grabbing coffee with creatives, listening to podcasts, attending classes or events and you’ll soon find yourself igniting the spark of your own creativity.
Want to Hear More?
Check out my conversation with the creative community connector herself, Ashley Morken, as she shares even more ways to find your creativity!
About Our Guest
Ashley Morken - Owner of Unglued Market + Host of Creative Mornings Fargo
About Unglued: Market
Unglued: Market opened up shop permanently at downtown Fargo, ND in August 2012. Currently we host over 200 local and regional artists, crafters, and makers in a fun and whimsical gift shop. In our Fargo location you’ll also find cupcakes and coffee to enjoy and include in a birthday gift for a friend! We also host a variety of sweet and creative workshops for kids and adults as well as hosting private crafty parties, too!
Find Out More
On their website | ungluedmarket.com
On their Facebook page | ungluedmarket
About Creative Mornings Fargo
Our Mission: Everyone is creative.
A creative life requires bravery and action, honesty and hard work. We are here to support you, celebrate with you, and encourage you to make the things you love. We believe in the power of community. We believe in giving a damn. We believe in face-to-face connections, in learning from others, in hugs and high-fives. We bring together people who are driven by passion and purpose, confident that they will inspire one another, and inspire change in neighborhoods and cities around the world.
Everyone is welcome.
Find Out More
On their Facebook page | creativemorningsfargo
Creative Mornings Kick-off Event: Craft
Unglued Adult Summer Camp
Find their full list of upcoming events + classes here!
Find the handmade jewelry you saw at the Unglued: Market brick and mortar!
Check out our featured makers on Etsy!
| Soul to Bone | Aerow | It's Lovely Here | Wuve | Jenny Sue | Art & Fawn | Catie Miller |
Unglued Market Hours:
Monday - Wednesday 10am-6pm
Friday - Saturday 10am-6pm
Sunday - noon-4pm
408 Broadway, Fargo, ND 58102